Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hmmm...... has to be my least favourite job.  

Everything that doesnt make it to the kiln, (breakages, cracked pots, and disasters) get broken up and dried in large margarine containers.  When the clay's dry, I add water to cover it, and then let it soak for a day or two.  Then I tip off the excess water on top and leave the rest to evaporate away a bit more.   When its the thickness of porridge I spread it over a slab of plaster of paris or a mould  and let it draw more moisture out of the clay.  Then its ready for LOTS of wedging to get an even consistancy and get rid of any air pockets there might be.    Finally its wrapped in gladwrap and labelled ready to use again.



Finally its wrapped in gladwrap and labelled ready to use again.

Its alot of extra work, but with the price of clay these days, there's no way it can be wasted.


Just did a load of pots last night (the final glaze firing).  Hopefully it'll be cool enough to open late tomorrow maybe.  The hardest part for me is the waiting for the kiln to cool......if its opened while its still too hot you can ruin your pots with the temperature shock.  Yes, I've been there and done that!!

If you have any comments please feel free to get in touch either on this blog, or by emailing me on howimakebonsaipots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment